It’s been months in the making, but we’re finally closing in on the release of Issue 12 of page seventeen. And how do we always kick off this last leg? Why, by announcing the competition shortlists of course!
The entries here have been selected from all the competition short story and poetry entries to feature as the competition shortlists in Issue 12. We won’t reveal the winners and runners-up until the issue launch event at the end of the year – details will be posted here closer to the date, so watch this space!
So without further adieu, here are the shortlists, listed by author surname:
- ‘Cold Currents’ by Susi Fox
- ‘Rooms Without Doors’ by Willa Hogarth
- ‘Ships of the Desert’ by Carmel Lillis
- ‘Macalister’ by Paul Mill
- ‘Louis’ by Edie Matsuda
- ‘The Glass Reverie’ by Virginia Danahay
- ‘Oral Sex’ by Judith Green
- ‘Ironing’ by Jenny Macaulay
- ‘Alice and Edward’ by Janine McGuinness
- ‘In Defence of the Bodhran’ by Leonie Needham
- ‘Beginning with a Given Line’ by Rodney Williams
Firstly, congratulations to everyone listed here – all these stories will be available to read in the new issue. To everyone who wasn’t able to make the list this year, I’m sorry we couldn’t make room for everyone in what was a tight race – keep faith in your stories and your own writing, and opportunities will always present themselves.
In the meantime, spread the word! Issue 12 is coming and it promises to be a great collection of prose and poetry, a real something-for-everyone package. I hope you can all celebrate it with us.
Beau Hillier | Editor, page seventeen